We’ve been at the Craft & Hobby (CHA) Summer Trade Show all week so we haven’t been posting as much as we normally post. So, here’s a recent question we received from a retailer and our answer to tide you over until we return to the office on Monday. Have a great – and profitable -- weekend!
With the weakening economic condition in the country, what can retailers do encourage spending during the coming months?
In an economic downturn the sound of shoppers exclaiming "I need this and this and this!" can happen in your store but it won't happen by accident, nor is it easy. It will happen if YOU make it happen. Ever since the medias began tossing around the "R" word (you know, recession) we've heard retailers talk about cutting back and slashing costs wherever they can. Big mistake. You can't shrink your way to greatness. This is the time to roll up your sleeves and do more than ever to attract customers to your store. Here are a few retailer-tested sales-building ideas to get you started:
* Embrace Shoppertainment. Throw a "Get to Know Us” Open House. Let customers (and potential customers) know that your store has all of their needs in whichever category you sell covered. Host at least one MAJOR MINOR Shoppertainment events in your store each month. Visit www.craftshow.org to buy a copy of “4th Quarter Calendar”, the seminar we presented at the show this week. It’s loaded with both major and minor in-store events to help you build sales.
* Create Bag Stuffers that detail what's going on in your store every, single week. Despite the name, do not stuff them in bags! Have cashiers HAND ONE to each customer. Despite the name, never pre-stuff the bags.
* Encourage customers to refer their friends. We have a referral card template and an "Introducing My Friend" letter we're happy to share. Send us an e-mail at the address below to get yours.
* Get some face time with via v-mail. For a monthly fee http://www.helloworld.com lets you send customers streaming video via e-mail. One click and there you are, talking up what's happening at your store. HelloWorld can even help you host your own on-line TV show!
Send an e-mail blast or e-newsletter about every 20 days; every week during the holidays. Include a limited time coupon to entice shoppers to your store. Visit www.emailcontact.com for low cost, easy-to-use e-mail marketing templates, calendars and more. Use the promotional code CHA72009 and save some bucks.
* Change the product on your front fixtures every week. Speed Bumps, end features, and impulse items at the cash wrap need to be refreshed weekly. You don't have to go crazy, just moving product from one fixture to another makes it look brand new to repeat shoppers.
So many ideas and so little time -- we have to get back to the show floor. Want more? Drop us an e-mail at info @ kizer and bender .com or call us at 888.215.1839 and we'll give you even more ideas to help recession-proof your store.
COPYRIGHT KIZER & BENDER . ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Follow us on Twitter! https://twitter.com/kizerandbender